Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Inventory & Sales Solution

This topic is 5002 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

First of all, let me quickly explain where I'm at in terms of capability. I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to developing FileMaker Pro databases. I've played around with a lot of existing solutions and am confident that I can become more familiar with more active self training.

Basically, I've been asked to create an invoicing and sales database. I'm coming here because I want to get some ideas as to what the standard practice is for creating a database like this. The person wants to be able to track when contacts make a purchase (subtracting from existing inventory), and when new inventory comes in (adding to existing inventory). As far as managing relationships between multiple tables, I'm fairly certain I can handle that. My hesitation basically comes from the inventory standpoint. I'm looking for ideas pertaining to how to better manage inventory.

The math should be very simple for all of this. I have some ideas as to how I'd put this together, but like I said, I'm coming here to possibly get some suggestions, especially from those that may have worked with similar solutions in the past and know the pros and cons of said solutions.

Feel free to throw in whatever lingo in order to quickly get your point across. I'm not amazingly experienced, but I do have some understanding of basic concepts used throughout simple/typical FM Pro databases.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas you put forth. :thanks:

Welcome to the Forums.

Not really sure what your questions are...and honestly, Inventory systems can be the most complex solution to develop in FM. They often are very specific to the client's needs and requirements.

How about starting with a search on these forums for "inventory?"

Also, review using transactions. (Start here:http://www.geistinteractive.com/inventory).

This topic is 5002 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.