Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Basic XSL Example

Mac

This topic is 4985 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to find a simple XSL example file for exporting from FileMaker. I have reviewed several examples and have templates for exporting to CSV, A general XML dump.

What I am really looking for is a simple guide or other simple tutorial that will let me understand how to export a specified set of fields from a group of records as a xml.

Thanks

There can be no such thing, I'm afraid. Exporting "a specified set of fields from a group of records" is the same as for any other format: you find the records you want to export and specify which fields to export in the export dialog. This will export the data "as XML" - in one of Filemaker's XML schemas.

The true power of XML exporting lies in the option to use a stylesheet during the export. The stylesheet can process the exported data and re-arrange it to fit another schema. However, the stylesheet must be custom-written to fit the exported data on the input side and the target schema on the output side. It would be very difficult to say anything useful on the subject in general.

That said, here is a fairly decent introduction to the subject:

http://my.advisor.com/doc/12009

This topic is 4985 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.