Server Maintenance This Week. ×

problems with iis

This topic is 8534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Hi, I am in a similar boat. I have established connections between IIS and Filemaker, but only if they are not running on the same system. If they run on the same server, the ASP Server hangs the first time I try to connect and I have to reboot. As long as FileMaker Unlimited and the IIS are on two seperate machines everything works fine. It sounds like your odbc is not set up correctly, or FileMake is not running on the target machine.

Kendall Redburn

quote:

Originally posted by KendallR:

Hi, I am in a similar boat. I have established connections between IIS and Filemaker, but only if they are not running on the same system. If they run on the same server, the ASP Server hangs the first time I try to connect and I have to reboot. As long as FileMaker Unlimited and the IIS are on two seperate machines everything works fine. It sounds like your odbc is not set up correctly, or FileMake is not running on the target machine.

Kendall Redburn

IIS is basically the worst web server you can get (including it with BackOffice is the only way it would have get used). It is a real resource hog and does not have a terribly robust feature set.

I would highly recommend a good web server. Things like Apache or WebStar are good ones. Or if you are just serving Filemaker you can use WebCompanion.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

• Newbies

I am experienceing this exact problem, - I am let down, i think, by the moderator who instead of try to actually do something to solve the problem, simply suggests that we change web server software.

if this is to suggest that the problem lies in the server software itself, then please say so, as far as i can tell it is an ODBC driver issue or FMP issue and not an issue with the server software itself-this would seem the case from the error message.

if anyone has discovered the nature of this problem please post it here.

quote:

Originally posted by jonstreeter:

I am experienceing this exact problem, - I am let down, i think, by the moderator who instead of try to actually do something to solve the problem, simply suggests that we change web server software.

if this is to suggest that the problem lies in the server software itself, then please say so, as far as i can tell it is an ODBC driver issue or FMP issue and not an issue with the server software itself-this would seem the case from the error message.

My recommendation for the avoidance of IIS is simply due to my experience working with it compared to just about any other web server software around. IIS has consistantly cause me problems that I simply never experienced with other web servers.

Now this could be an ODBC problem, except that you claim that this works when the two applications reside on seperate machines, which is generally a more difficult ODBC configuration to get working.

I have never worked with both IIS and FMP at the same time, although I have used WebStar and FMP with no problems on many occassions.

In general I would never recommend running FMP and a web server on the same system if at all possible, but I have done this and not experienced these kind of problems.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:

IIS has the great advantage of being free.

So, if you consider cost-effectiveness, it can only be infinitely better than anything not free.

That is one of the problems with IIS. It is free so how much effort should they devote to its design? Something like Webstar is a commercial application, which lives or dies by it price to performance/stability/feature ratios. IIS is free.

I would recommend that anyone seriously interested in hosting websites or publishing data on the web invest in a quality (any yes more costly) web server software like Apache, Webstar or any of several others.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Have have problems getting my active server pages to connect using ODBC to FileMaker 5.0 Looks like others have had similiar problems. Anybody have any resolutions since the last postings? I definitely want to be able to add new records to the FM database, live from the web pages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

The fix for this is to set up the DSN (in the ODBC control panel) as a Remote Data Source. Use the server's own IP address as the remote source, and be sure to share the file using the RDAC. Makes sense, huh? Blame FileMaker for this one, not IIS....

I am working with a FM Database and have an ASP page retrieve records via ODBC. The DB has approx 6400 records with an image inserted into each record. When I have an sql statement return a set of records (approx 16) takes about 12 secs. This seems so slow.

Would it significantly decreasing the search time if I were to take the image out of the db and just have the name of the image file?

------------------

Thanks,

Kevin

Yahoo! Messenger: prof_bunsen

This topic is 8534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.