Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print Command Grayed Out

Nick Belli

This topic is 4963 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am having a printing problem with FMP 9. Some of my reports will not print. Using the same script gives completely different results based on the layout. Some layouts seem to have printing disabled. I noticed that when these layouts are selected the Print command in the File menu is grayed out. Is there some where in FMP you can selectively and individually enable or disable printing by layout?

Where did these files come from? Do you have full access?

Privileges can be set up to disallow printing, perhaps that is the case for these files/layouts.

I am using an account with full privileges. The file is a report generating application. It has a couple dozen report layouts. Some reports will not print. I trapped the error #, "3               Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)" This doesn't make any sense to me since some layouts print and others don't in the same database. All of the layouts are in the Browse mode through out the printing script. I can scroll to one layout and the print command is available and scroll to another and the print command is grayed out.

Edited by Guest

Ok, I think I figured it out. The reports that would not print were based on a table with no records. I assumed the layouts would print even if the table was empty. The records duplicate existing paper forms, so one function of the DB is to allow the user to print blank forms if they need a blank paper copy. Thanks BruceR and raybaudi. Your questions helped jerk my mind out of the rut I was stuck in.

And thanks for the reminder that you can't print from a found set of zero records; whether that is because there are in fact zero records; or because records exist but the found set is zero.

This topic is 4963 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.