Bar Code use

krh

This topic is 4953 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello!

I am trying to use a bar code scanner to read and import data into a datasbase. I have no idea where to start. Can someone please give me an idea where/how to start to get data imported into a feild?

Thanks

Kris

For simple Code 39 barcodes (linear barcode suitable for relatively short alphanumeric strings), I'd suggest downloading Link which is a free barcode font in Code 39 symbology.

To install, just drag the fonts to Control Panels|Fonts and re-start Filemaker. Anything you print in this font will be scannable, so long as you prefix and suffix it with an asterisk. i.e. create a calculated field = "*" & real_field & "*" to be printed.

I like to employ used QSC6000+ USB scanners, they go for $30 on eBay, Walmart used these for years, and when they upgraded to newer models, thousands of used ones were available. However, any scanner for which a keyboard wedge driver is provided, will work. The wedge driver will type the data into whatever field you are in upon scanning, hence the name. Depending on your application, you may want a cordless scanner, or a scanner on a stand. Typically you'll have FM present a custom dialog, and the scanner will simulate RETURN at the end of a good read, triggering a script to go to a record or process data. Alternately you could use script triggers. If you need to scan existing barcodes in a fixed symbology, be sure the scanner you purchase can handle the symbology required, and has a keyboard wedge driver available. Typically wedge driver is free from the scanner manufacturer. If the barcodes are distant from the computer, most scanners have memory; when inserted back in their charging base cradle or when within bluetooth range, they send all the scanned codes at once.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4953 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.