FMP 3.0 on Mac OS 9.0.4 / upgrade to 4.0 / 5.0

This topic is 8605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have been running FMP 3.0 on a PowerMac 8600/200 with a G3/300 (NewerTech) upgrade and Mac OS 8.6 - everything is working fine. Now I decided on a shiny new graphite PowerMac G4/450 dual processor that I want to network with a shiny new graphite iMac G3/400 via an AirPort network. (The 8600/G3 is history.) Equipment and ap is all non-server. File sharing still has some issues, BUT, I have been having problems printing FMP (only FMP - printing from other aps is OK) documents on the G4 to a new HP 2100TN laser printer - ie. sometimes the FMP document prints, other times the computer freezes and crashes. We are coming to the conclusion that the problem is FMP 3.0 and need to upgrade. My tech says FMP 4.0 will be just fine, but I thought I should go to FMP 5.0 right away.

I have the latest aps for just about everything else I use, but since the G4 dual processor currently only works with PhotoShop, why invest in any more programs until OS X (which will make use of the dual processor) is up and running, with aps that will make use of it. I use FMP to run invoicing, work orders and reports for my portrait & wedding photography studio business.

So the question is for anyone who has had a similar experience with FMP 3.0 and Mac OS 9.0.4 - is 3.0 the problem, and which version is better for an upgrade at this time - FMP 4.0 or 5.0?

Thank you.

Richard Bublitz

------------------

Richard Bublitz

Portraits & Dreams,

Inc.

FMP 3.0 before patch level 5 isn't even Y2K compliant. While I don't always promote upgrading for upgrade sake, I thought that FMP 4 was a much nicer program than FMP 3. FMP 5 is nice but the licensing sux.

This topic is 8605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.