Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Choosing different printer in script

Bonnerbl

This topic is 4321 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Need help figuring out this problem. I have two reports.

Report #1 is a simple report layout and the user uses the default Filemaker PREVIEW and then PRINT and/or PRINT SETUP to choose the printer and options.

Report #2 on the other hand is printed from a script. The script contains a Print Setup - performed with a dialog and no page setup options chosen. It then later on does a Print[No dialog] without any print options specified.

If I print report #1 and click on the PRINT icon in the FM toolbar and send it to printera and then print report #2 but choose printerb in my scripted Print Setup dialog, the report in error goes to printera.

It seems that something in the FM system is either overriding my choice in the scripted Print Setup or else my scripted Print command is wrong.

Does anyone have some ideas for where I should look. I've spent several days trying to figure this out and am at a loss.

Bottom line the printer will always be chosen on an ad hoc basis each time a particular report is run.

Thanks for any help, clues, ideas..

p.s. - know that there was an issue with long printer names FM9 and before. I'm using FM10 and 11.

Edited by Guest

I may not have a definite solution to this, but it sounds very similar to a problem that I've had to solve. Hopefully, it works for you as well.

In my database, we have a report that had to be printed multiple times on different color papers. We decided to add multiple trays to our target printer, then have the Filemaker script perform multiple prints to that printer, but each time specifying a different tray. However, when we would print it, it would only print from the first tray. Every time we would try to update a Print script step, it would update all the Print script steps in the entire script to match it!

Frustratingly, the only solution we've found is to edit the script using Filemaker 10 on a Macintosh computer. I haven't done enough testing to see if the solution comes with using Filemaker 10, or with making the change on a Mac, but it persist to this day. If a change ever needs to be made to Print script steps in that script, we have always had to load it in Filemaker 10 on a Mac in order for the changes to keep.

Though, once the changes were made, the script worked fine from either a Mac or a Windows machine, and from any version of Filemaker we've used since (10 or 11). It's annoying, but it does work!

• 1 year later...

This topic is 4321 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.