Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Password security leak....

This topic is 8583 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a small problem at the school where I work. Somehow FileMaker is filling in the password you need to login to our client database. So anyone who starts up our FileMaker Pro they can access our database with FULL USER RIGHTS.

This is with all our user profiles, and we don't know where to search this.

We are using FileMaker Pro 3.0

Look under edit, preferences, document, and remove the password in the "Try default password" block.

We seem to be going around in circles here...

If the very first database that people open has a default password then that password will be used to open all the other databases that the first one calls. So you'll need to check *how* people are opening the databases, and systematically go through each one and look for something.

I'd go through and check that each of the databases has appropriate password security set up. Even if I knew that they did I'd check again just in case.

I have "played" around a bit in FileMaker Pro and found out that the password he fills in to access the database you can't change.

So what I mean is:

The filled in password is (example): password

You can't change it to lets say: passwordnew

It won't let you enter a new password...

(this is when FileMaker prompts you to enter the password for the protected database)

[This message has been edited by Collin (edited October 30, 2000).]

It sounds like your developer has create a unique password system for the database solution, one which only he will know about.

It's highly likely that you won't be able to find out anything useful without the matsre password anyway.

Get the developer onto the job.

This topic is 8583 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.