Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Verizon Iwp Sessions Timeout

This topic is 4898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using IWP to publish a registration form over the internet.

I am using FM pro 11 and Verizon Fios 35/35 (upload/download speeds) on a dynamic ip address, using DHCP.

I have port forwarding 80 pointing to my computer 192.168.1.104 (running vista). On my web site, I have my link pointing to http://92.244.234.37 (my verizon router address).

Using filemaker within the local network works perfect. But if users out on the web or even myself from another computer within my home network try to get to my IWP session, sometimes it works, most of the time it thinks for awhile (10 or so seconds), while at the bottom of the browser says "connecting to 92.244.234.37" , then either times out (which then I can click the retry & resend button & it may get me back in FM) or it just works. Then I can fill out the form, but when I click any button that takes me to a new layout or the exit button (to commit my record & exit IWP), again it either does nothing, or thinks or just works.

I am filling out the form in less than a minute, I have my IWP idle force logout time set to 10 minutes.

Would going static with verizon solve anything, it costs about $20 more a month, but would be worth it.

I just switched from comcast, & don't think I had that problem, & they only have dynamic addresses, but I was only using it for about 1 month, so I'm not positive.

I also tried hosting FM on a windows 7 computer & also changed my website link to http://92.244.234.37:591 & changed my port forwarding to 591. Still seems to sporadically lose connection to my router.

I then changed my router DNS server to 4.2.2.2 & 4.2.2.1, then to googles DNS, then to OpenDNS, I then also changed my computer hosting my IWP session to them same DNS servers.

Nothing seems to help the erratic behavior of temporarily losing my connection.

As it stands now, I am afraid to ask people to use this service, as it is frustrating.

Does this happen to others?

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

ok, so noone seems to know or is even having this issue from this forum & also from forums.filemaker.com

so I tried to test my online registration a moment ago, & it would not connect to the database at all. (came back with a timeout page)

so I changed from open dns on my router & my hosting pc back to obtain DNS servers automatically, but it still timed out,

so then I exited & closed out of filemaker (its been on for several days now), then restarted filemaker (did not reboot the pc) and it worked perfectly, as quick as can be.

I am using microsoft security essentails & firewall on that pc, though I don't know what diff that would make.

I wonder if the server version would have these freeze ups?

I wonder if all IWP seesions on a pc have this problem?

Hi PVS,

Welcome to the forums.

A few quick notes:

- Firstly you misunderstand the point of DNS. A domain name server translates a domain name (e.g. www.fmforums.com) to an IP address (because a domain name doesn't actually mean anything useful to a computer - it's a human readable / memorable pointer to an ip address) - e.g. www.fmforums.com translates to 209.92.164.90. If I went straight to 209.92.164.90, domain servers would in no way be involved in the process.

- The DNS is only relevant for people trying to access your site via a domain name (so not at all in this case)

- What you set your own pc's DNS to is irrelevant for external users.

- Going to your external IP address from a computer on your internal network will not work properly (if at all). You need to use your internal IP address when inside your network - e.g. 192.168.0.104.

- Check your windows firewall (disable it entirely temporarily) to see if that's what's causing the problem (in control panel).

- If you can't get this working on the pro version, you're not likely to get it working on the server version (this is some sort of firewall or network related issue).

- If you have a dynamic IP address this means your external IP address changes.... if you expect people to use your service on an ongoing basis... you have one of two options

- a) Get a static IP address from your ISP (preferable)

- : Use a dynamic DNS service (like dyndns.org). e.g. -http://www.dyndns.co...ces/dns/dyndns/

This topic is 4898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.