Plastic Credit Card Processing

This topic is 4902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I'm wondering about the parameters that control the approval process, and the best way to submit a name when it has a middle initial. I notice that lots of websites simply have a single field for the complete name as it appears on the card. I've also noticed that lots of people have a middle initial on their card. So what is the recommended way to submit a full name as it appears on the card, so that it will be verified?

If additional parameters are submitted ( like first name, and last name ) should't the transaction be denied if the name doesn't match that on the card? Working in test mode, I'm finding that I can submit my card with other people's names, and the transaction goes through.

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this,

-jb

You can pass a middle initial in with the first name key, such as "firstName=John E".

Thanks, David. What about verification? I assumed that if we pass in optional parameters like name, that those would have to match the information on file or the transaction would fail. But that's not what I'm seeing.

That would be up to your gateway. I may be wrong about this, or it may depend on which gateway you use, but I think that all you really need is the card number and expiration date. If you provide extra information you may be able to get a lower rate on the transaction, but I don't think it is used for verification.

That would be up to your gateway. I may be wrong about this, or it may depend on which gateway you use, but I think that all you really need is the card number and expiration date. If you provide extra information you may be able to get a lower rate on the transaction, but I don't think it is used for verification.

Thanks, David. The documentation for Authorize.net says that both address verification and Card Code Verification are services included with an account there. It appears these can be turned on by logging in on the Authorize web page. Currently, transactions are being verified without the name, address and security code, but it appears that we may be able to make these required if the client wants it. I'll follow up with the client.

This topic is 4902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.