Printing in scripts...default printer?

This topic is 4853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a few scripts with print steps in them. Generally, they print from the same printer at work but occasionally I (and other users) want to use them to print things at home. Also, there are two different printers used at work, and occasionally it would be nice for a computer to print to a specific printer rather than a script printing to a specific printer. However, if I specify print options, it seems the printer gets hardcoded into the script step such that I'd have to edit the script in the event I need to use a different printer. This doesn't seem very user-friendly. I feel like there must be something obvious I'm missing here. Does FileMaker just not do the default computer printer in script steps?

I've got a few scripts with print steps in them. Generally, they print from the same printer at work but occasionally I (and other users) want to use them to print things at home. Also, there are two different printers used at work, and occasionally it would be nice for a computer to print to a specific printer rather than a script printing to a specific printer. However, if I specify print options, it seems the printer gets hardcoded into the script step such that I'd have to edit the script in the event I need to use a different printer. This doesn't seem very user-friendly. I feel like there must be something obvious I'm missing here. Does FileMaker just not do the default computer printer in script steps?

Hi,

This is a long-standing and often-heard complaint about FM printing. Although there are workarounds (too long to post here) the simplest thing is to set the Print script step to present the dialog. Then you can choose the printer. Hard-coding the printer selection makes a solution much less mobile.

RW

This topic is 4853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.