Moving fields from one File to another

This topic is 4845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have several unrelated FM files that I am using at work. I have set up several new fields some with calculations that only affect or use the other new fields that I am adding. Is there any way to take this new group of fields and copy them to complete separate and unrelated files without starting over and duplicating efforts.

I have several unrelated FM files that I am using at work. I have set up several new fields some with calculations that only affect or use the other new fields that I am adding. Is there any way to take this new group of fields and copy them to complete separate and unrelated files without starting over and duplicating efforts.

If I am reading you correctly:

1. Create a new file

2. Import creating a new table from the existing files - select the fields that you want to move.

That should do 90% of the work for you.

Yes - if you want to move them into a brand new table: import --> file/new table. This will keep calc definitions / I think any ref to related field will appear so long as the table exists in new file. Else you have to re"link" those in the calcs.

No - if you want to move them into existing table.

You need the Advanced version to copy/paste field definitions.

If your "several unrelated FM files" have the same structure, you could clone the modified file and import records into it. However, you'd probably do much better by combining all your files into one.

Thanks for replies. Both of the files we have been using for years and each have thousands of records in them. They are totally separate and not related to each other. It just so happens that I want to add a new set of fields that would be the same in both files. It sounds like that is not possible to just copy from what I read from your answers. I can just do them from scratch in both unless this has clarified something that will make it work. Thanks for responses.

This topic is 4845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.