Using variable in filename to call external SCRIPT

This topic is 4832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am passing a parameter to a script, which in turn calls a script in another file. The initial parameter determines which file gets opened. Is there any way to call an external script when you are using a variable filename? I think I know that the answer is no in FMP9.0v3 but perhaps I'm missing something. Would fmp 10 allow this? I'm considering the upgrade...

thank you!

Thanks! But what I'm wondering is if you can call a script from an external file when the call to the external file uses a variable.

I have a solution that calls the same script in many identical files - only the IP host and filenames vary. So I set my call to:

fmnet:/$hostIP/$filename

I then perform script (Startupscript in fmnet:/$hostIP/$filename) from original file, passing a parameter.

However, it won't let me select the script since the call uses variables.

Is there a way to do this?

No. But this sounds like a design problem. Why do you have many identical files. Sales 1999, Sales 2000, Sales 2001. etc? They all belong in one file.

• 2 weeks later...

Each team gets its own interface file (entirely identical) and data file (entirely identical except for data).

The teams don't want their data merged into one file for security reasons so I have to do it this way.

Also, merging the data was problematic with privileges on merged records, as the only way I found to permit access to only your team records was to set privileges using a global field, and that SLOWED down performance to an unacceptable degree.

If I had FMP advanced I could remove the "show all" and what not and force you to navigate only to your related records, but unfortunately I don't have fmp advanced.

The script that calls all files is only used for people who have multi-team privileges.

That's ok - I just spelled them out. Works like a charm, even if not very elegant.

Thx!

This topic is 4832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.