Word Merge - Using .mer

This topic is 4637 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm having trouble with exporting data from FMPv11 into a .mer file and then using the exported data in an MS Word v2007 merge form. Word recognizes the .mer as a data source, but has problems with characters like ' and " that are located with in the text fields that are being exported.

I've tried using different Text Encoding options while in Word, all have their own flavor of not reading the ' and " characters and either ignore them completely or give me those goofy little box symbols.

Anyone else trying to use FMP and MS Word together and can help me with the export and merge process?

• 6 months later...

I am having the same difficulty - but only on Windows platforms. I traced the issue back to the merge file created in FMP. When opened in Word, with the "Show Paragraph Formatting" turned on, it shows an extra return after the last record. Remove this extra return, and it will merge no problem. This result did not change when "Use Smart Quotes" was checked or unchecked (I suppose the previous poster was suggesting you un-check it, on the basis that the "smart quotes" would goof-up Word). I have not found a work-around, but need one. My solution runs on both platforms - but this merge functionality is critical.

This topic is 4637 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.