Auto Populate Fields based on Value List selection

Lillian

This topic is 4835 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am relatively new to filemaker, and would really appreciate some help!

In searching the net, I came across a topic here which replicates the functionality I want, but I have no idea how come it works for them and when I try, not for me.

(located here: http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/74977-value-list-auto-complete-with-calculation-field/)

I'm trying to have a field "Company Name" where I choose a value from a drop down list, and then right underneath it, the "Office Name" will automatically update.

They are situated in two tables (Company and Office, respectively) and are related by an ID.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'm trying to have a field "Company Name" where I choose a value from a drop down list, and then right underneath it, the "Office Name" will automatically update.

They are situated in two tables (Company and Office, respectively) and are related by an ID.

Related by an ID of what? Does one company have many offices, or is it the other way round?

Related by an ID of what? Does one company have many offices, or is it the other way round?

A company can have many offices, in different locations, and the like.

if it's easier for you to just explain how this file from the post linked in my first post, I'd really love that

I'll attach the kind of thing I just don't understand how it works. I guess ignore the visible/invisible thing, the old post had something going on with that I don't need and I don't think affects the functions I'm concerned with.

Also I don't know how the portal comes into all this (there's a portal where the full name is sitting)

Thanks

-Lil

FindVL-2 in Portal Copy.zip

The file you have attached is different from the file in the other thread. The file in the other thread works by performing a find when the gSearchFiled is modified. There are no portals or relationships. The file you have attached ... well, I don't quite know what to say about it.

In any case, I don't see how either relates to what you said:

If a company can have many offices, then which one of them do you expect to appear after you have selected the company?

I've jolly well confused myself, I need to go away and think about what I'm doing. All I wanted to do was select a company/office combo from a list, and have that data pop up in the fields.

Thanks for replying, if nothing else it's made me realise I'm not on top of everything atm.

All I wanted to do was select a company/office combo from a list, and have that data pop up in the fields.

That should be very easy. You need to define two value lists, one of (all) Companies, and one of Offices (showing only related values, based on the selected company).

Once you have selected the office (or more correctly, the OfficeID), you can fetch its data through a relationship.

Search the forums for 'conditional value list' - you should find plenty of examples.

Once you have selected the office (or more correctly, the OfficeID), you can fetch its data through a relationship.

Hey thanks for getting back so quick on all this, can I ask, how exactly is the data fetched through the relationship? Is this meant to happen automatically?

This topic is 4835 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.