Use FM DB from outside FM

This topic is 4833 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is it possible to work with FP7 file using the FileMaker ODBC driver (or any other means) without actually needing to have FileMaker installed?

I'm not a FileMaker user, but I periodically need to export an FP7 file to another party who uses an FM system. I've tried to talk them into letting me send them a CSV but they are only willing to accept FP7 files because of "The Process".

Currently we use an FM Runtime application that they provided to do our data entry. This was fine for a long time because we were just interested in doing data entry and submitting the data. However, business needs now require us to save the data in our own systems. To be honest the runtime application is pretty aweful, and is not an option to use to manage these records. Also, we simply need the data to be centrally stored according to company standards.

We will be writing a new system to manage these records, but we still need to be able to export an FP7 file for transfer to the other party. Is there some kind of component that I can use to open up an FP7 file from code so that I can do my export?

Thanks for any help.

they are only willing to accept FP7 files because of "The Process".

I am tempted to say you are dealing with a bunch of ... but you probably know this already.

I don't know of a way to work with a .fp7 file other than opening it in a Filemaker application (incl. a runtime application). Perhaps you could modify the runtime file using Filemaker. Even the trial version of Filemaker could be used for this, since this is a one-time operation. However, this can only be done if (a) they didn't remove admin access to the file and (B) you have the admin password. Otherwise you'd need a one-time access to Filemaker Advanced to generate your own runtime.

The idea is that the runtime would import the .csv file generated by your system and export it as before. This could be scripted and set to run on opening the solution - so you could schedule this using your OS scheduler.

• Newbies

The idea is that the runtime would import the .csv file generated by your system and export it as before. This could be scripted and set to run on opening the solution - so you could schedule this using your OS scheduler.

Do you think a runtime application would respond well to running from the command line on a server, either scheduled or executed by another process? I admit it's a complete kludge, but if it works...

I should add one more thing: there is a scenario in which your current arrangement makes some sense.

Suppose I have 5 clients like you. If I create a runtime with 6 user accounts (5 clients and me) and I give a copy to each of my clients, with their own password and the admin account removed, I'll have a pretty secure system for transmitting the information.

If that is the case, you won't be able to accomplish much without their cooperation.

• Newbies

I should add one more thing: there is a scenario in which your current arrangement makes some sense.

Suppose I have 5 clients like you. If I create a runtime with 6 user accounts (5 clients and me) and I give a copy to each of my clients, with their own password and the admin account removed, I'll have a pretty secure system for transmitting the information.

If that is the case, you won't be able to accomplish much without their cooperation.

I've already opened up the export file with the trial version of FM, so that's not a problem.

Ok, you've definitely given me a good starting point. I feel a whole lot better about it than I did yesterday.

Thanks a lot!

This topic is 4833 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.