Dynamic field object size (length in list view)

frinholp

This topic is 4819 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I have created a layout which is solely displayed as a list. The layout has been designed co create a faux table (for info, the table headers/titles sit within a 'Leading Grand Summary' part).

Is there a method to resize a field object dynamicaly, so that the object size is greater than the width that is necessary to display the full field content?

Another question (slightly related) is why if a file developed within Windows, when loaded on Mac, does the current font switch from Arial to Lucida Grande? I'm assuming it may be that the Mac PC (not my machine; I don't own a Mac) on which database has been loaded, does not have the Arial font set as standard?

If that is the case, what font is suggested to use in a situation where the FM database is required to operate on both platforms?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Is there a method to resize a field object dynamicaly, so that the object size is greater than the width that is necessary to display the full field content?

Not quite the same, but you could use auto-resize: http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/edit_layout.10.8.html This will only be good for enlarging the width of one column.

If you are viewing the layout in preview mode, you could look into Sliding: http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/create_layout.9.46.html

why if a file developed within Windows, when loaded on Mac, does the current font switch from Arial to Lucida Grande?

Can you describe what you mean by 'current font'?

If that is the case, what font is suggested to use in a situation where the FM database is required to operate on both platforms?

I like Tahoma, but a quick search for 'cross platform font' gave me this link... http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/sampler-CombinedResults.shtml which show's that Arial and Tahoma are both very likely to be available on both Mac and Windows.

Thanks Dan

I have looked into sliding objects. This does exactly what I would like but as you stated, unfortunately only works in preview mode. Pity there is no way to reference layout objects to perform a resize/move.

Can you describe what you mean by 'current font'?

I have developed my layouts in Windows to use the Arial font, but when run on the Mac, the font is rendered as Lucida Grande.

The Mac has the Arial font set installed. I have noticed though, if you go into Edit -> Preferences -> Font, and look at the default font list for each input type, for Western the default font on Windows is Arial, and for Roman on it is set to Arial on the Mac. However, I have noticed that for Central European on Windows it is set to Arial CE, but on the Mac it is set to Heiti. If you try to change the default font for Central European input type on the Mac, the only font available in the list is Lucida Grande. Heiti does not even appear as an option although it is set as default.

I'm not sure if this has any relevance, I'm just trying to provide you with an overview of the current scenario.

Thanks again

Lee

Ok, I have investigated this further.

It seems there is no problem with the fonts on the Mac. My error.

The problem seems to lie with the Windows development machine. If all text on an existing layout is formatted as Arial, this is reflected in layout mode. However, when I switch to browse mode, some layout parts' text does not display as Arial, but instead from what I can make out, they display as Tahoma (even though these objects are formatted to use Arial which can be seen in the inspector).

On the Mac machine all text is now displayed as Arial.

The text objects that are displaying the incorrect font are those that were originally showing on the Mac as Lucida Grande. I have a suspicion that early in development, I may have created these objects on the Mac machine formatted with Lucida Grande. I do not have the Lucida Grande font set installed on the Windows machine. Maybe this has something to do with the problem?

I have also tested changing all layout parts' text formatting to use Times New Roman. Again all appear to use that font in layout mode, but when I switch to browse, only some objects reflect the change and the others display using what 'appears' to be Tahoma.

In my preferences I have Arial set as the default font for Western input type.

Can anybody please shed some light on this matter?

Thanks in advance

Lee

It sounds to me like the data in your field(s) for certain records is formatted as something other than Arial. Try turning on the text formatting toolbar, and select all the text in a field; see what font it is.

I have investigated even further into this now.

I will use a button as an example.

If I select the button as a whole and change the font in the inspector or formatting toolbar, the text appearrs to change in layout mode. When I switch to browse, the text within the button diplays as a different font. However, if I select the whole button and change the font for the button, then highlight just the text using the text tool, then format the text as a different font, the font chosen for the highlighted text displays in browse mode.

BTW if I select the button as a whole, the formatting toolbar shows no font as if two fonts are being used.

I really do not understand what is happening here. I have many buttons on many layouts. I really do not want to have to select the text in all my labels and buttons and change the text formatting. I expect that I should only have the select all objects that require the same formatting, make one change that should be reflected in all those objects.

I am tearing my hair out here, please help.

Thanks again

Lee

Found the issue

In conditional formatting:

Formula is

// Change font on Windows

Abs ( Get(SystemPlatform) ) = 2

My fault. I borrowed somebody's button example in early days of development and have copied and pasted it throughout my layouts. That certain button carried the above condition which is why I was getting different results on different platforms.

Suppose this is a harsh lesson learned. What may seem the easy option in the first instance, may not necessarily be true in the future.

I now have the chore of going through all my layouts and deleting this condition for all affected buttons.

Lee

Lee

This topic is 4819 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.