FMS for large scale application

This topic is 4805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I've only used server for small applications but I have a large use and am trying to decide if it is feasible to use Filemaker or have to go with something like Microsoft SQL etc so I can spec out this project.

Basically it is for a back end for a point of sale like DB that will connect with about 10-50K systems (not fmp clients but some type of standalone hardware).

The clients will collect simple transaction data and that will be sent back to the server.

Other users will be able to log on and see see their transaction totals with a front end web page. (kind of like air-miles with points)

My questions are:

Can FMP be scaled up really large and still have fast performace?

What is the best way to connect to the FMS, ... PHP?

I would like to use filemaker because I can rapidly change the business logic and have good familiarity.

Thanks for the help

Charles

Basically, I think the answer to you question is NO.

The technical specifications page for FileMaker® Server 11 Advanced found here gives information on the number of connections of various type clients. With web publishing you are limited to a maximum of 100 simultaneous web connections, even with Custom Web Publishing. So the volume and frequency of hits on the system has an upper limit.

Most likely, you are going to need to rethink this approach. Someone else may have a different approach, however. So let's see what this thread develops.

Steven

Thank-you Steven, that link provided useful, but sparked another thought.

it says:

"* Multiple users can share a single CWP connection. CWP Connections are based on simultaneous request events,

rather than persistent connections"

so if I have a terminal hitting a web server tied into the CWP I can have more ... Is that right?, seems so.

Now would each unique access be handled by say a PHP front end or by Filemaker. I don't need separate user accounts, as I could handle that with passed user information etc.

CD

What is the best way to connect to the FMS, ... PHP?

Anything that can consume the standards that FMS supports: XML, ODBC, JDBC.

The PHP API helps non-FM developers consume that more easily but there are non-FMI APIs for .NET, Ruby-on-Rails, Flex, Python and probably some other ones. So "easier" becomes the technology that you're most comfortable in or that your client has already invested in.

10-15,000 connections is most likely going to be out of FileMaker's scope.

so if I have a terminal hitting a web server tied into the CWP I can have more ... Is that right?, seems so.

You can only have 100 simultaneous connections. In Custom Web Publishing, if these are not persistent, you can go in and out. But if there are more than 100 people wanting connections, they are in the queue.

Steven

This topic is 4805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.