two portals from the same table on a layout

hispania

This topic is 4789 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

Basically, I want to use the same source of information in two places on the same layout but with different meanings.

I have the following TABLES:

Document table:

__kpDocumentID

DocumentTitle

DocumentVersion

DocumentCode

Location table:

__kpLocationID

FunctionalArea

LocationDocument table:

__kpLocationDocumentID

_kfLocationID

_kfDocumentID

Relationships: Location -< LocationDocument >- Document

In the Document table I have two tabs one for Document Communication and another for Document Location. As stated before, my objective is to use the information in the Location table for two different purposes:

to communicate the creation of a document to the Functional Areas

to record all the locations where the document is used and accessible to the end users.

So, I thought that the way to go would be to create two portals on the Document layout:

one referrenced to Location TO #1 and

another to Location TO # 2,

But as soon as I select information through a value list into the first portal I get the same information on the second portal.

How should I set up the relationships and portals to be able to use the same information source (Location) for two different purposes (communicated and located)?

I know that I have to differentiate somehow records from the Location table used for communication from those used for location. Is there anyway to do it, or should I repeat the same information in two different tables: Communication and Location?

Thanks

jose

• Newbies

Certainly!

Document management entails several requirements two of them are:

You have to communicate to end users that a new document, that states management practices, has been issued. In other words, for compliance to take place you must first spread out the word.

You must keep track of where (location) the document is located both electronically and on paper.

jose

OK, but your LocationDocument can only serve one of these two tasks (IIUC): to keep track of where copies of the document are located.

To track announcements to users, you should first have a Users table, and then an Announcements table joining Documents to Users.

• Newbies

Okay, I see what you mean.

your LocationDocument can only serve one of these two tasks (IIUC)

From this statement I understand that any table in filemaker can only be used for one task / purpose.

I was wrong thinking that it was possible to use 2 portals from the same table on the same layout, but each for a different task / purpose.

Thank you,

From this statement I understand that any table in filemaker can only be used for one task / purpose.

I wouldn't make such a broad statement. I simply don't see that the LocationDocument table has the necessary data to fulfill the other task. It also seems to me that placing a document in a location is one thing, and announcing the existence of a new document is something entirely different - but perhaps I am misunderstanding your situation.

This topic is 4789 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.