midpoint of date and time

This topic is 4778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help with this seemingly simple formula. I need to know the exact midpoint of various given dates and times. Data is given as follows; start date 03/10/2011 @ 14:26 and end date 3/17/2011 @ 13:22

I can do this by crude formulas but I bet there's a simple way. No offense to FM power users but in Excel it's ridiculously simple. Thank you in advance for any help.

No offense to FM power users but in Excel it's ridiculously simple.

No offense to you, but it is ridiculously simple in Filemaker. However, I am not sure what exactly "03/10/2011 @ 14:26" means: are those two fields (one for date and one for time), or one timestamp field, or something else?

• Newbies

No offense to you, but it is ridiculously simple in Filemaker. However, I am not sure what exactly "03/10/2011 @ 14:26" means: are those two fields (one for date and one for time), or one timestamp field, or something else?

the fields would be: start date (date field), start time (time field), end date (date field) end time (time field) no timestamp, all user input.

the result in my example would be 3/14/2011 02:24

Try =

Average ( Timestamp ( StartDate ; StartTime ) ; Timestamp ( EndDate ; EndTime ) )

Set the calculation's result type to Timestamp.

the result in my example would be 3/14/2011 02:24

Perhaps you have made it too simple in Excel - because the correct result is 3/14/2011 1:54:00.

• Newbies

Try =

Average ( Timestamp ( StartDate ; StartTime ) ; Timestamp ( EndDate ; EndTime ) )

Set the calculation's result type to Timestamp.

Perhaps you have made it too simple in Excel - because the correct result is 3/14/2011 1:54:00.

Yes yes yes ty, but... the result is present in one field. I need to break that up so that the date is in one field: mDate and the time in another: mTime. The reason being is because these are/will be included in calculations of I-131 in air particulates and charcoal cartridges.

• Newbies

Thank you for taking your time to help! I believed FM had a simple formula. I was searching in a different direction and didn't look into the Timestamp function. I have been using FM for years and have simply stayed with the functions I'm familiar with and made do. I will explore more and get up to speed. Thanks again.

This topic is 4778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.