Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automating field entry via scripting

This topic is 4780 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

It's been a while since I worked Filemaker heavily; last time was back on FM v5.5. What I'm wanting to do is take Excel data, import into FM Adv 11. This data relates to statewide technicians for the company. Creating the database is OK. Now that I have that, I want to perform a script that allows me to place a "sort key" note into a field to show whether that technician is in the north, south, or central part of the state. I can do a find on the tech by name in the script, but I'm rusty on how to then perform a field paste of all subsequent "sort key" fields relating to that tech. I.E. if I find all the records for Technician A who works in the north, I want to place an "n" in the sort key field for all that tech's records. My first attempt places it only on the first record found. Once I can get all techs assigned their respective location letters, it will be easy to perform finds for given geographic areas.

Hope this makes sense. I'm seeing FM Pro 11 quite a bit more advanced than I remember; I need to read up on the current features and steps, but need to get a report prepared soon that allows me to sort and select the technicians' work tickets, and separate by over geography of the state. Make sense? Any thoughts on the right way to script this appreciated.

if I find all the records for Technician A who works in the north,

From this I understand the imported data can have multiple records for Technician A? Now, how do you know that Technician A works in the north? Is there another table of Technicians with a field for location?

This topic is 4780 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.