Server Maintenance This Week. ×

IOException while sending message

This topic is 4748 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is a recent use of the Email plugin with FileMaker v10. A new MacBook Pro running 10.6 with all current OS and Java updates is inconsistently throwing this error:

Could not create a message for [email protected] :IOExepction while sending message

The error occurs regardless of the email address. A full reboot sometimes resolves the issue. However, an older PPC G5 iMac running the same script will work fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Max

Is it possible that a firewall is blocking your computer from sending the messages? Also, how many messages are you sending at a time? If you are sending a high volume of mail your smtp server may block you from sending messages after a certain number in a set amount of time as a way of preventing viruses and spammers from taking over your computer and sending out mass mail.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. The computer that's not sending does not have it's Firewall turned on, and the router's Firewall isn't specifically blocking this computer or SMTP ports. We're aware of the sending limitations of our ISP, but still, jumping over the PPC iMac and everything send out fine. There have been some network connection issues and we've reset the router and switch, which seems to have improved connectivity and may resolve the problem. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Max

• 3 weeks later...

Partially sorted this out and it's not a problem with the plugin itself.

In my startup script I'm calling your awesome 'Auto Update Email plugin' from your server. Never seemed to have problems before, but in this case the script was somehow disabling or removing the plugin. What's odd is that the script works fine on mine and the other computers that open this database and use the plugin.

I haven't had a chance to completely debug the exact chain of events, but what threw me off was on this computer the Preferences->Plug-Ins list was showing '360Works Email' as Enabled and registered. However, on further examination the actual plugin file was not in the Extensions folder, so I manually installed the plugin, restarted FileMaker, and it worked. The next day the client reported it wasn't working again, but this time the plugin was still in place. So I disabled the auto update script, restarted FileMaker, and it's working fine again.

This has inspired me to install AutoUpdate360Works.fp7 on my own server and I'll let you know if I can figure out what it might be doing.

Thanks,

Max

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. The computer that's not sending does not have it's Firewall turned on, and the router's Firewall isn't specifically blocking this computer or SMTP ports. We're aware of the sending limitations of our ISP, but still, jumping over the PPC iMac and everything send out fine. There have been some network connection issues and we've reset the router and switch, which seems to have improved connectivity and may resolve the problem. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Max

It sounds like your auto-update was failing, which was a known issue with a build or two ago of the plugin. You will need to manually remove the plugin from your auto-update directory for the latest version the be successfully installed. The newest version does not have this auto-update issue and future versions will not have this same problem.

We have created a removal tool you can also run to remove all 360Works auto-update-installed plugin. You can access it at http://360works.com/remove-plugins/.

Thanks David, that would explain it. I think I got that memo, but am finally putting two and two together - it's been a busy year.

It sounds like your auto-update was failing, which was a known issue with a build or two ago of the plugin. You will need to manually remove the plugin from your auto-update directory for the latest version the be successfully installed. The newest version does not have this auto-update issue and future versions will not have this same problem.

We have created a removal tool you can also run to remove all 360Works auto-update-installed plugin. You can access it at http://360works.com/remove-plugins/.

This topic is 4748 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.