FMP 10 Send Email Scripts not working in FMP 11

jknapp

This topic is 4764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have set up several scripts in my FMP databases to send out email notifications to clients and authors when their articles are published. These scripts worked fine in FMP 9 and 10, and now, all of a sudden with our FMP 11 upgrade, they no longer work. When I open the database in FMP 10 again, it works like a charm.

The steps are

Go to layout (original layout)

Show All Records

Constrain Found Set (removes records with no email addresses)

Pause/Resume (gives user time to scan and approve the list of clients)

Sent Mail [send vial E-mail Client; No Dialog; To: (field name here, on email sent per record/ client); Subject: (Subject here); Message (message with field names embedded here)]

Go to Layout [original layout]

There's no mention in the script of a Filemaker version needing to be verified/ used, it's really a simple script (no subscripts, etc). Could there be some problem with the fields listed in the message of the email? I've pasted a version of the email sent to each person below.

"Congratulations!

¶¶

I am writing to let you know that your work or writing for the article '"&PublicationListDB::Title&"' will be featured in the "&PublicationListDB::Issue&" issue of XYZ magazine.

¶¶

You will receive two complimentary copies of this issue. If you would like additional copies for presentational purposes, or to share with family, friends and colleagues, please contact us either via return email or at the phone number listed below the closing.

¶¶

Sincerely,

¶¶

Staff Member¶

XYZ Magazine¶

Street¶

City, State Zip¶

phone"

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica

There is no reason why this should stop working in FMP 11. Can you give some more details about what is different between the setup that works and the setup that does not. Can you also more fully explain what you mean by "no longer work".

The script is the same in FMP 10 and 11. I am using Microsoft Entourage as the email client (am on a Mac). All of my settings for FMP 10 and 11 in the preferences pane are the same.

What happens is this. I run the script, and all of the steps seem to work. It finds the appropriate records, pauses, then "appears" to complete the script, meaning it returns the user back to the original layout, showing the found set. What should happen next, or what has always happened in FMP 10 is that Entourage pops up, and a window comes to the front saying " A script is attempting to send an email message Allow/ Yes/ No". I click yes, and the emails spool into my drafts folder, then send as the server allows. In FMP 11, even after manually forcing Entourage to send and receive, no warning message appears, and no emails spool into the queue in either the drafts or sent folders. So, for some reason, it seems that FMP 11 can't find Entourage, or isn't passing the emails to it. I can only guess that this is the issue.

It also does the same thing when I switch to SMTP (instead of sending via "Email Client" as the option in the drop down box) and put all of my information into the appropriate fields. The script appears to run and complete properly, but none of the emails get to Entourage.

Hope this explanation helps you to help me:)

There is no reason why this should stop working in FMP 11. Can you give some more details about what is different between the setup that works and the setup that does not. Can you also more fully explain what you mean by "no longer work".

If you send by SMTP (rather than thru an email client, ie Entourage), it won't be in Entourage!

It rings a bell that Entourage isn't supported/doesn't work.

Why not just send thru SMTP? (If you need a "copy" of the email in FM, then create an "email" record and send that. I usually have a table "Activities" that has Emails, Letters, Notes, etc.)

This topic is 4764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.