view all, but access and edit only privilege set

kmninbox

This topic is 4734 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

This is a variation of privilege sets that calculate which records a user is allowed to view and edit, but a little contradictory in nature, allow me to explain...

I have CustomersTable and CurrentSalesRep

I have a customers entry form, where I would also like to show the entire list of customers for everyone on one side of the form, on the other side of form, I want the actual fields for the current customer record that the user can view and edit, but only if the customer is assigned to the user. The point of having the whole list is so the user can check wether or not the customer already exists before they create a new customer, but depending on the user and their privilege set, though they can view the customer name either in a list, or a portal, they will not be able to view or edit customers not assigned to them in the form side of the layout. I want them to be able to click on customers that are assigned to them, and see the customer information in the form, where they can edit or add to the information. But clicking on a customer that is not assigned to them will pop up with a dialogue saying, "you do not have access to this customer." I don't want them to see any other customer information for customers not assigned to them, other than what I allow them to see on the list.

I understand this is a bit contradictory, allowing them to view all customers, but not allowing to view customers unassigned to them ...

Is there a way?

TIA

What you are really asking for is the ability for some fields in the customer database to be viewable by all users, but other fields be inaccessible to all but a selected group.

That's do-able, but make sure there is enough information for the user to identify the customer and do their work. Think about when you have 6 customers named "Sue Taylor", how will the users tell them apart? Consider displaying the customer's city and phone number in addition to their name.

Customers then need to be "assigned" to the database users. Think about whether customers get assigned to just one user or to multiple users. Also think about when user leaves the organisation: who will inherit their users and how will the database manage this? (Hint: you need some kind of administrator who can fix this.)

Security is one of those "be careful what you ask for" situations. It's easy to make a solution that is so secure that people cannot actually do their work (the equivalent of locking yourself out of your own house) or the security is intrusive and slows people down significantly. Think of the security at the airports now.

Actually, let me clarify,

In the list, or portals, I want them to see what I allow them to see, but if they click on it, and the customer data entry form pops up, it will actually be totally "no access" where they can't see anything.

If there is no other way, I guess I would have to work around with them being able to see only limited fields, such as CustomerName & StoreName.

Actually you great questions.

I will be the administrator and I will be the ones reassigning. Actually my long term solution is that once a user leaves the company, that the customer will auto become a "company customer" or "open" for all to see and follow. but once someone is able to make a sale, it will auto become that user's customer based on the SalesRep that is able to make an order with the customer. I digress but I will aso want to put an auto time limit on the CurrentSalesRep say 1 month, 2 months since the last sale, it will become an "open" customer again...

Thank you for your insight

If there is no other way, I guess I would have to work around with them being able to see only limited fields, such as CustomerName & StoreName.

I'm afraid that's not going to work, because field access cannot be conditional: if they are not allowed to view a field in Customers, they won't see it in their own records either.

How many customers do you expect to be dealing with?

a couple thousand, will it make a difference...

It will, when the idea is to load the customers names and IDs into variables at the beginning of a session - using a script run with full privileges.

I suppose I will find a way to work with access to certain fields only depending on privilege set...

If you do, please let me know.

This topic is 4734 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.