Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 11 03 runtime weirdness

This topic is 4749 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running OSX 10.6.7 using Parallels with Vista. (FM 11.03 Advanced)

When I produce a run-time application in Windows, I get some weird things that don't seem to happen in OSX:

1) The "X" close button in the upper right corner of FM windows is inactive. I get around it by putting "CLOSE" buttons on each windows but I don't think it is supposed to be this way. Or, is it?

2) My application consists of a membership.fp7 file and a calendar.fp7 file. I specify BOTH .fp7 files in producing the run-time but when I run the .exe and click "Calendar" the RT can't find calendar.fp7. It then gives a file find dialog. If I click on the Calendar.uSR file it works. Huh?

Question, "Why can't FM include the Calendar.fp7 as a run-time USR file?"

Sorry of this is real elementary. This is my first time producing a run-time for Windows.

Thanks

The "X" close button in the upper right corner of FM windows is inactive.

Your surprise at this indicates that you aren't familiar with the differences/limitations of the runtime engine. It's not the same as the FMP client.

Your surprise at this indicates that you aren't familiar with the differences/limitations of the runtime engine. It's not the same as the FMP client.

When I run the SAME runtime database in OSX, THE "X" will close the active window. It does NOT do this in Windows.

Setting aside my 'familiarity' with the runtime engine, my point is that THERE APPEARS TO BE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MAC and Windows versions of the same application.

So, since FM promotes the runtime engine as working in OSX and Windows I read that to be that a given application would run the same in either. Since this is NOT the case, it begs the question "Are there other differences? If so, where can I find information on what they are?"

Am I (despite my lack of 'familiarity') being clear?

thanks for your help.

Are you sure you actually made a runtime for OS X? You must make runtimes for BOTH platforms independently.

When a runtime is made the original data files can still be opened with FMP, is that what you are doing?

The runtime generation procedure produces an executable replacement for FMP that can be distributed freely with the data files. It also has a number of features removed, most importantly "Manage Database", otherwise end users could modify your solution.

Have a good read through the development guide in the supplied docs.

Are you sure you actually made a runtime for OS X? You must make runtimes for BOTH platforms independently.

When a runtime is made the original data files can still be opened with FMP, is that what you are doing?

The runtime generation procedure produces an executable replacement for FMP that can be distributed freely with the data files. It also has a number of features removed, most importantly "Manage Database", otherwise end users could modify your solution.

Have a good read through the development guide in the supplied docs.

Yes, I created 2 different RT applications for each OS. After downloading the going through the FM 11 Advanced "Developer Guide", it looks like the 'oddities' I noted above are "just the way it is" and I will have to compensate from within my application. (for example, since there is no way to close a window by clicking the "X" in the left/right corner, I will have to put an "Exit" button on each layout.)

This seems to beg the question "Since the ability to close a window is inherent in each OS, why does FM prohibit the RT application from using it?" Just wondering.

Originally you claimed that the "close" feature was different between Win and OS X runtimes - is that still the case? (Not in my experience)

Why should FM remove the "close" feature??

The developer utilities also allows the KIOSK mode to be invoked. The result is a borderless window without even a title bar and all the menus are removed. Obviously this also removes the window controls (close/minimise/max). For this mode you MUST have a close application button as kiosk mode takes control of the whole machine and won't let you get into other applications etc.

In a multi file suite the removal of the close window prevents individual files being closed, thus preserving the operation of the whole suite.

Once again, have a good read of the docs, which, incidentally are already installed with your FM installation - you did not need to download them.

This topic is 4749 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.