External File Sharing - Two IP Issue

This topic is 4705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've never come across a situation where this has occurred before, so wondered if anyone else has had the same issue, or knows away around it.

I have a filemaker database on a networked drive that connects to a computer running FileMaker Pro via internal network cable LAN.

(I know, I know, its not good practice to share from a shared network drive)

The database opened in FileMaker Pro on this computer shares fine to all those computers connected on the LAN network.

Now I want to allow my database to be accessed externally, but heres the problem.

The computer's access to the internet is through the office WiFi, not LAN.

So this gives the computer, and filemaker, two different IP address;

1. One for the lan, 190.x.x.x

2. One for the WiFi 10.x.x.x

So I setup the WiFi roter to forward port 5003 to 10.x.x.x

But despite the firewall being removed, no joy is allowing access externally.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

Dan

I think this is the problem.

I have a filemaker database on a networked drive that connects to a computer running FileMaker Pro via internal network cable LAN

Try putting the database on the computer thats running Filemaker and doing the hosting and see if you can connect to the database from outside of your Lan if that bit works a least you know its accesable externally, there doesn't seem to be any advantage having the database on a networked drive. You would also be much better of using a wired connection.

Vincent

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I think this is the problem.

Try putting the database on the computer thats running Filemaker and doing the hosting and see if you can connect to the database from outside of your Lan if that bit works a least you know its accesable externally, there doesn't seem to be any advantage having the database on a networked drive. You would also be much better of using a wired connection.

Vincent

Share your filemaker pro database, using FM9, with several computers over our network.

This topic is 4705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.