Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can I connect FMGo over 3G without FM Server ?

This topic is 4733 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

- Can I run FM Go over the 3G network from my iPhone and connect to a desktop PC on my LAN that runs filemaker 11 (not server version) ? (all office PC's are connected to the internet through the same router (same ip).

I currently have a file/print server setup it is running windows 7 pro, and has filemaker 11 installed. It basically just holds all data in the office. When this PC is turned on it loads filemaker 11 automatically then opens all the databases. We then connect to these databases via file -> open remote ...

The computers that connect to this are running a range of different filemaker versions (fmpro 9 ... fm 11). It all works very well, as we have a constantly changing database that needs to be changed from any pc in the office and updated on all instantly.

I have just installed FM Pro for my iPhone4 and I am having trouble connecting. I can connect when my iPhone is connected to the local network via wireless, but as soon as I leave the office or switch off the wireless I cannot connect via 3G.

I have done some reading and am attempting to get no-ip running, but thought i'd better check to make sure i'm not wasting my time and this can be done before I dive into it any deeper.

I would really appreciate some insight from anyone who has tried this before or has any ideas that may help.

Thanks for reading :-)

Sam

I can connect when my iPhone is connected to the local network via wireless, but as soon as I leave the office or switch off the wireless I cannot connect via 3G.

This is a port-forwarding issue, which needs to be done on the router.

• Newbies

I managed to get this working by putting my file / print data server outside the router via DMZ. Good to know it can work, I just need to learn out about port forwarding now I guess. As I dont want to run it on DMZ.

I currently have a file/print server setup it is running windows 7 pro, and has filemaker 11 installed. It basically just holds all data in the office. When this PC is turned on it loads filemaker 11 automatically then opens all the databases. We then connect to these databases via file -> open remote ...

Not a recommended setup, at all. Makes me wonder how you're backing up.

You really are best off using FileMaker Server to host your databases, for a number of reasons.

If you do not wish to set up your own FileMaker Server machine, you may want to consider a professional FileMaker hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

- John May

• Newbies

Our system works really well, we don't need Filemaker server, it would be an overkill I feel. I tried the trail version and could not get it to work how I wanted, mind you I only spent a couple of hours on it.

For backups - We use RAID, also have scheduled backups to external drives, and also scheduled online backups. So as far as backups go we are well sorted.

Filemaker Go is running on my iPhone now as well, I just needed to tidy my network up and forward ports.

John - Thanks for the link I will look into this for sure, price looks very reasonable.

This topic is 4733 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.