Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Display Zoom Level altered under Windows 7

JH Howland

This topic is 4724 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here is something very peculiar I have run into using Filemaker 11.

My MarinaPro solution displays normal at screen resolutions 1366 x 768, 1360 x 768, 1280 x 768 and 1024 x 768 when FMP 11 is running on a standard PC under Windows XP, doesn't matter the brand computer or LCD monitor. See attachments MP Normal 1.jpg and MP Normal 2.jpg. Note the zoom level is at 100%.

However, when MarinaPro runs on a new Dell Vostro 3500 laptop running Windows 7 at the screen resolutions outlined above, the content area is altered at Zoom level 100%, and the screen content appears to be at about 125% to 150%! See attachments MP Bad 1.jpg and MP Bad 2.jpg. Note the zoom level is at 100%.

Anyone know whats going on here?

MP Normal 1.JPG

MP Bad 1.JPG

MP Normal 2.JPG

MP Bad 2.JPG

I'd be willing to bet you have "Enlarge window contents to improve readability" set in the FileMaker preferences on the laptop. It's a Windows-only setting, and it threw me for a loop when I first saw it.

Check the FileMaker application preferences (Edit -> Preferences) there is an option to enlarge the view (or similar wording). It will be selected on this machine. I don't think that this is particular to Windows 7.

I'd be willing to bet you have "Enlarge window contents to improve readability" set in the FileMaker preferences on the laptop. It's a Windows-only setting, and it threw me for a loop when I first saw it.

Hey guys, please read the post. I am running windows and I want "Enlarge for better readability..." set "On". If you look in the lower left corner of all the screen shots you will see "100*" indicating that "Enlarge mode is active and that zoom level is set to 100%.

I am back to my original inquiry, "What's going on here?".

Hey, read our replies. The "enlarge contents" makes everything bigger but leaves the zoom control at 100%.

I am back to my original inquiry, "What's going on here?".

I don't understand this question. You have turned on the option to enlarge the window contents. Everything now appears bigger. You'll now need to adjust the window size to fit the enlarged contents. The Adjust Window [resize to fit] script step will do the trick.

Hey guys, please read the post. I am running windows and I want "Enlarge for better readability..." set "On".

Now that I know you have "Enlarge..." set on in both places, I admit that is peculiar. (In fairness, your original post mentioned nothing about this.) I have someone in my office who uses Windows and keeps this turned on, and I didn't notice a difference when we upgraded her PC from XP to 7, but I wasn't looking for it either. My guess, since this is a Windows-only preference, is that FM is using some built-in feature of Windows to do this, and either it works differently from XP to 7, or there may even be a control panel preference that adjusts the amount of enlargement. Maybe on the filemaker.com forums someone from the company can verify this.

This topic is 4724 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.