Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help Appreciated-Back/Forward Buttons

This topic is 4724 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm new to FileMaker. My version is FileMaker Pro 8.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have surfed through various forums and nothing has helped.

Question: How do I make back/forward buttons? I've read about them with "backmagic" and "seedcode" but they were complicated to understand and didn't work for me.

Details: I'm using "Lending Library" as a starter template and reworking for cataloging artwork. Please be detailed and specific with instructions. I know nothing about scripts so if they are involved, it would be great if someone could provide step by step instructions. Below are some thumbnails:

Back/Forward Buttons

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/backfwd.png/

Asset Form View

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/864/assetformview.png/

Asset List View

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/assetlistview.png/

How do I make back/forward buttons? I've read about them with "backmagic" and "seedcode" but they were complicated to understand and didn't work for me.

Unfortunately, they ARE complicated. There is quite a bit of work involved in making it happen seamlessly. It's too much to provide step-by-step instructions.

BTW what are you implementing back/forward? IMHO they are great on web sites but not for databases. I spent a couple of days coding back/forward navigation for a solution and the users didn't use it because it didn't make sense or add value (and no, these were not ID-10T users). The solution already had buttons that navigated to the various modules of the system (contacts, accounts etc) and they understood these well. However the back/forward buttons kind-of did the same thing, except randomly because the users didn't mentally track their navigation through the database like they would in a web site.

Another vote for NOT implementing Back/Forward. As Vaughan states, a database is not a browser. The more you try to adopt the web paradigm, the more headaches you'll encounter. FM thinks forward. Where do you want to go from here?

Back is difficult because to do it correctly, you'd have to restore the users found set, active tab, etc. And what if the record that they were on had been deleted since they left or no longer qualifies for the found set? Where do you take them now?

Even on the web, Back can be troublesome for similar issues.

This topic is 4724 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.