FMP11, FMP8.5 and FMS5.5

This topic is 4655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have FileMaker Server 5.5 running on a MacOSX machine, serving FMP8.5 clients on Windows (Vista and XP) and Max (OS9, OSX) machines.

We need a new Windows machine, which will be Windows 7, and therefore will have to purchase FMP11.

The question is, will the FMP11 on the new Windows machine be able to use the existing remote files without messing anything up for everyone else?

I don't want to develop using FMP11, just use it as a client to enter data into existing databases created in FMP8.5.

Thanks.

We have FileMaker Server 5.5 running on a MacOSX machine, serving FMP8.5 clients on Windows (Vista and XP) and Max (OS9, OSX) machines.

That cannot be. FMS 5.5 only supports clients version FMP 6 and earlier.

Assuming then that you have FMS 7 or later...

... will the FMP11 on the new Windows machine be able to use the existing remote files without messing anything up for everyone else?

FMS 11 can work with FMP 8.5 clients.

That cannot be. FMS 5.5 only supports clients version FMP 6 and earlier.

Assuming then that you have FMS 7 or later...

Ah. Good point.

Fingers typing before brain engaged.

FMS 9 it is.

Sorry.

• 1 month later...

I had to replace the mac Mini running my old FMS9, and that means I'll have to purchase a new FMS11 in any case, because 9 won't run on the new OSX system.

However, a look at the specs for FMS11 shows this

"FileMaker Server 11 support FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 9 databases. While FileMaker Pro 8.x and FileMaker Pro 7/Developer 7 have the same file format as later versions of FileMaker Pro, they are not supported by FileMaker Server 11 due to product obsolescence."

That suggests I'll have to replace every client copy of FMP8.5 in the office, which is one hell of an investment on top of FMS itself.

Do you know of anyone actually running FMP8.5 on the FMS11 server normally?

Thanks.

I think that's FMI's way of saying the they do not support FMP versions earlier than FMP 9. Earlier versions should work OK but you're on your own.

Look into the annual licensing that FMI offers, it's pretty cheap. Look at getting the FMS license on it too. The big difference with this licensing is that once you stop paying the annual fee, you must stop using the software. However the license includes maintenance so new versions are free (I think).

This topic is 4655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.