Text Splitting Across Page Breaks

pradeep

This topic is 8282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using File Maker 5.5 and HP Laser Jet Printer,I want to print a big layout spaning 2 pages,I am using sliding up based on all above and reduce the size of encloscing part.But what ever I do it breaks the text and file majer fields near the page break line into 2.Half is printed on one page and the other half on the other.I have read through all the manuals and technical documents but have found no solution to this.i have tried using different fonts and sizes also but of no use.Is this a problem of File Maker or ir the Printer.My OS win 2000.

Thanx

Actually, I have a variable length (1 to 5 pages) layout with a 5 page long sliding/shrinking text field that prints without the text getting sliced up. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the layout set up properly, but it can be done. Depending on how your fields are arranged, you may or may not get this to work.

Essentially, you need to make sure that everything that moves or shrinks will do so in an integral number of line spaces. That's not hard if everything is the same font and font size because anything that shrinks will do it by lines, and then anything underneath that slides up will also do it by x number of lines. The trick is to create some kind of anchor object at the top of the topmost sliding field. A borderless white rectangle can be used for this. Make it non-sliding, so nothing can move up past it. Then, do a test print. See where the text cuts off, and then nudge the anchor object up or down a pixel or two and retry. Once you get the page breaking properly between the lines it should work with any amount of text.

PS., your trial text should have lower case characters like "jgpqy" and lots of upper case characters just to make sure that they won't get trimmed in the wrong place.

This is an issue that always surfaces. Basically Filemaker is not able to really break text across pages, in the manner that a layout or word processing application would, by inserting hard and soft page breaks before the text is sent to the printer. Filemaker does not have this capability and relies on the print driver to do this, obviously they are no better at it.

This is especially a problem with sliding text, since there is no way to judge where the text will slide to compared to where the page breaks will be.

Somethings you can try are: make sure that your spaces between fields are all exactly the same height as a single line of text; break the layout into 2 seperate layouts; send the output to and RTF file and open in Word.

This topic is 8282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.