Input FM data to Excel template

This topic is 4666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I believe Filemaker can do this, but I'm not sure how...

In Excel, we have a very complex budget template for our events. Our client database is in Filemaker. Is there a way to get all the variable information when we add a new client to Filemaker (company name, number of children and adults, dates, arrival time, departure time, # of meals, activities, etc...etc...) into the Excel template? Or vice versa, putting it into the template first then it automatically goes to Filemaker. We've always just added to both manually, but we are getting busier and noticing more human error now. It'd be great if we could just put the info into one place to reduce the chance for error.

I have a pretty good understanding of Excel, but I'm a beginner with Filemaker so advice in layman's terms is much appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, it's entirely possible.

A couple of different ways:

1- have FM produce an export file with the data and then trigger a VBA macro in the template to take that data and put it in the right places

or

2- use pretty much the same VBA code but do it in a VBscript, kept inside FM and triggered by a FM script

Approach 2 is a bit more work but it avoids having to embed code in the excel template and potentially having old versions of the template out there.

This topic is 4666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.