Accessing Remote File via IP

This topic is 4615 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

At the office we have Filemaker Pro Advanced 9 running on Windows Vista and have the network sharing on. I have been able to connect with my IPhone with FileMaker Go (Router ports forwarded etc, all works great).

My Question is this... (and I could be way off the mark here)... I have, at home, FileMaker Pro Advanced 9 on my Mac with OSX. When I open the OPEN REMOTE option, and key in the IP of the office I get no files listed in the righ hand side. Ive even tried keying in the file name etc and same error.

Is it possible to connect this way? I know the file sharing is on and router is working as Im always able to access the file from my IPhone. From the computer I keep getting the "host not available or file not available on host" error message.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You need to look into port forwarding at your home. Your router has to be configured to pass the traffic through to the computer running FMP.

Vaughan,

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify so I look for the right thing... Even tho the database is hosted on the windows vista machine at the office, I have to setup port forwarding to my mac at home? I tried setting up forwarding for ports 5003-5007 (Ive seen different people say different ports, so i thought Id do the whole range)... still the same error. When I setup the remote host address on my mac do i need to put the IP:5003 or just the IP? (123.123.123.123:5003)

Thanks again for the pointers. Very much appreciated.

OK... so I had a realization and solved the issue... It turns out I have a program running which controls which programs access the internet at any given time... I didnt realize that some how, FileMaker had been blocked from accessing the internet. So, changed that, and instantly, works.

Thanks again Vaughan for your pointer which started me searching down the right path.

Much appreciated!

This topic is 4615 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.