Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Email & Filemaker 11 trouble

ag2231

This topic is 4632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi All,

I am running into an issue sending email through Filemaker. I am working with Filemaker Pro v11.0.3 and can not seem to get an email script I tried to create (copied from starter solutions database) to work. When I created a script to email FM records to the person who will actually make the purchase, I thought it was pretty straight forward for email through SMTP, but it will only work with in our network here on our campus but not off-site. Also, when I can send an email no record appears in the body of the email. I have tried to setup the email function to work with sending a email through the user email local email application (this method is preferable since it would allow the purchaser to know who sent them the email), but this wants to create a pdf and we don't need pdf's just the record in the email. Any ideas how I can get this done, or where I can find out how to get this done?

Thanks, Anthony

"Email function I created." What do you mean by that?

If you are going to use SMTP and not an email client, then you need access to that server. Perhaps that's part of your "off-site" problem?

"No records appears in the body of the email." Records cannot appear in the body. The body can, however, be set to a field and that field can be a calcuation.

How about posting your file or printing the script to pdf and posting that?

• Newbies

Hi bcooney,

First let me say thank you for taking the time to try and help answer my question. I meant, and I edited my post, to say "the script I created (copied from the starter solutions)", also I do have access to the server and have successfully sent an email but nothing showed up in the body of the email. I have also tried sending a message through a local email application on a Mac, though this would have to work on a PC as well, and as I mentioned this would be the preferred method so the purchaser can know from who the order request is being emailed.

I am not sure how to create a calculation that will allow the email body to include the record, can you point me in the right direction?

Anthony

• Newbies

Ironically, I was going to point you to this thread that includes a demo that is relevant to your question. You're already a part of the thread. Have you looked at the demo?

Yeah thanks and I am sorry to say I am so new at this part of working with FMPro, writing scripts that is, I could not make it work right; at least not with my DB. In fact I have been looking at so many sources of information trying to work this out I probably copied the script from your recommendation in the other tread and confused it with the "Starter Solution" script. Another issue I have run into is with generating a .pdf as I mentioned in my original post when sending mail through a local email application. While I was hoping to only include the record in the body of the email but according to your reply this is not possible, the .pdf that is generated doesn't so the record instead it is filled with garbled text. Any idea why this might be happening?

• Newbies

Please post your file.

This file was originally from a earlier version "Starter Solutions" available to the public, we have been using this database as a "flat file" and have not been using any of the original tables, except to calculate totals. It prints fine and allows us to record our orders in a simple but up until now adequate way.

PS: I have been trying to upload an empty copy of my database but i am being told I am not allowed.

This topic is 4632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.