Proximity Card Logins with HID / Omnikey: Advice?

HazMatt

This topic is 4505 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our employees carry around HID branded proximity cards for physical access to the building, and I'd like to allow employees to login to my FileMaker solution with these cards instead of typing in their username and password all the time. This would speed things up and encourage people to carry their cards with them.

I've been told that the OMNIKEY 5325 CL is the device best suited for this, and they advertise Mac OS X compatibility, but I wanted to hear from fellow FileMaker users if this is a feasible idea or not. I'm envisioning something akin to how a magnetic card (like a credit card or driver's license) is read in by a card swiper via keyboard wedge simulation.

I can pick up a single unit for testing for about $60 online, but if I'm going to be wasting my time, I'll skip to a different project.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if this reply is too late, but you can... The RFID cards have a unique id which, when scanned, is displayed as if you would type it in with a keyboard... Same thing as magnetic strip readers or barcode readers. Make the field invisible though, otherwise you can copy it. With script-triggers you can run a verification script.

PS. Check the chip type and frequency. There are A LOT of variations available and not all are compatible with a cheap reader... Most common is the 13.56MHz Mifare S50 compatible (FM11RF08), do a google search...

I think the HID uses 1.25KHz, which uses supposedly cheaper readers.

This topic is 4505 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.