Server Maintenance This Week. ×

testing whether email profile has been set up

tomp

This topic is 4600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Many of my users - especially prospective new ones - use an internet email service such as gmail, hotmail, yahoo or others and have no email profile defined on their pc. Some of the benefits of my software include options to email various information to my users clients so they may not be equipped to use them when they initially install the package.

Is there a way to test within FM whether a 'send mail' script step will find a profile without actually doing the 'send mail'?

I tried error capture to see if that would catch the fact that a profile didn't exist but it didn't - it just gives them a dialog box that I'm sure means nothing to them and just confuses them.

Similarly, I don't want to scare them off unnecessarily by talking about email profiles in the setup for my software when their computer may well already be set up. I find that talking about this with them creates a glaze-over in their eyes (even though I can't see them) before they commit to a purchase.

If I could test for the existence of a profile so that 'send mail' would work, I could give them appropriate instruction when one is needed.

Hope this makes sense.

This topic is 4600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.