Server Maintenance This Week. ×

A question for all you FMpro consultants about consulting...

This topic is 8331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Sorry, this isn't a scripting question, but I couldn't find a "chat" forum where I could post this. This is my story: I have a BS in biology, with intermediate computer skills. I have been working for a small bio-tech company during my senior year in College as a DB intern. They hired me on to do a complete redo of their DB. I taught myself FMpro, and worked for them at $11 an hour. Because they were a small company, they couldn't offer me a full time job after I graduated, so I am no longer working there. But recently, they called and want me to do some "DB consulting for them". Their DB has more work to be done. I have about 6 months of FMpro experience, but I feel I'm at an intermediate skill level. What do you guys think is fair for me to request as an hourly rate? What do you charge? Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by GMOcreator:

Sorry, this isn't a scripting question, but I couldn't find a "chat" forum where I could post this.

I moved this to the "Making a Living" forum, where this is a perfectly appropriate topic.

quote:

This is my story: I have a BS in biology, with intermediate computer skills. I have been working for a small bio-tech company during my senior year in College as a DB intern. They hired me on to do a complete redo of their DB. I taught myself FMpro, and worked for them at $11 an hour. Because they were a small company, they couldn't offer me a full time job after I graduated, so I am no longer working there. But recently, they called and want me to do some "DB consulting for them". Their DB has more work to be done. I have about 6 months of FMpro experience, but I feel I'm at an intermediate skill level. What do you guys think is fair for me to request as an hourly rate? What do you charge? Thanks!

One of my first real consulting gigs was for about $25 per hour. At the time I felt that was fair and it was acceptable to the client. Now I would never even consider working for that little. However this is many years later.

Ultimately you need to take a whole ton of factors into account, but the bottom line is that you need to feel comfortable at the rate that you decide to charge.

This topic is 8331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.