Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Corrupt File

This topic is 4530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a multi-file Filemaker application.

In one particular file ,there is a Specific table which has a single record.Through some process which i havent determined, this particular file is getting damaged and this single record is getting corrupt.All the fields display a question mark.

The Filemaker version is Filemaker Server 11 and the Client has Filemaker 9.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

The Filemaker version is Filemaker Server 11 and the Client has Filemaker 9.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Please update your profile to include this information plus platform.

The question mark in the fields indicate that you might have a broken relationship, or the data might be too large to fit fields.

For the first problems, check your relationships. For the second problem, open the file and click into one of the fields. If the data appears than just increase the size of the field.

What are the field types, text, calculations, graphics etc.

Where does this data come from. I.e. is it being entered directly into the Fields, or brought in from other file or files?

Corruption can be a lot of different things.

Have you been reverting this file back to a pristine copy of it?

If you do not have a pristine copy, you should probably make a new file.

BTW, How long has the file worked without problems? How long has it exhibited the problem?

Was this file created in an earlier version of FileMaker? Was is served on a different version of server?

HTH

Lee

Save a compressed copy, see if that fixes it.

If not the go into define fields and turn indexing off for all fields (make a note of which ones you change). Close define fields, then open it and turn the indexing back on.

If that does not fix it then use the recover command.

If that does not fix it then rebuild from scratch.

Lee,

I've checked the fields and the problem isn't the size of the fields.

The fields are text fields and data is entered directly into the fields.

Could you please explain the meaning of pristine copy?

The file exhibits this problem in a random manner.There is no specific pattern.

The file was created in FileMaker 8.But all the other files were also created in FM 8 and they are working fine.Could the creation of the file in an earlier version of FileMaker be an issue?

I've checked the fields and the problem isn't the size of the fields.

The fields are text fields and data is entered directly into the fields.

Try doing what Vaughan pointed out.

Could you please explain the meaning of pristine copy?

A pristine copy of a file is one that has never been used. Normally, the developer doesn't remember to make a copy for this purpose. However, if you are archiving a copy of your files regularly, you could go back and get a copy of the file prior to any problems showing their ugly face. If you don't have such a copy, then my advice would be to build a new file from scratch, and import your data into it. I fear however, you have lost data that you're going to have to re-impute.

The file exhibits this problem in a random manner.There is no specific pattern.

This file is sounding more more like it is corrupted the more you tell us.

The file was created in FileMaker 8.But all the other files were also created in FM 8 and they are working fine.Could the creation of the file in an earlier version of FileMaker be an issue?

AFAIK, version 8 was pretty stable and probably doesn't enter into it.

File failure happens. The reason can vary, but usually comes down to improper closing of the file. Things like power failure, or somebody working on the files while they're being served are usually the cause. Why it picks on one and not the others is a mystery to me.

HTH

Lee

P. S. I just did a Google search for “article on FileMaker corruption” and found several articles that you may be interested in reading, two which our are on FileMaker's site.

This topic is 4530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.