Access to related files - help with security

parkerdg

This topic is 4424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to keep my users from having to log into multiple related files. I have over 100 users in one file and have now related this file to another existing file. There does not seem to be a way to migrate account information from one file to another, so I thought about using guest access. I would say about 75% of the users do not need access to the related file, but are constantly prompted when going to do a sort or export, for example, to log into the related files, for which they must enter "cancel". The other 25% of the users do need access to the related data and have accounts in that related file.

Unless users do something such as a Sort, everything is fine. Most don't need access to anything in the related file. Is there a way to get around this access issue? Something that would log users into the related file using the account on the file and if they did not have an account to use the guest account?

I dislike the idea of setting up temporary passwords in the related file for everyone to then have to change. My users will be quite confused if I were to do that. While I expressed this issue as one related file, the reality is that there a multiple files related to the base file and the user gets multiple log in messages which appear identical to the user and they think they are getting the same message over and over. Part of this is a design flaw, but that is what you get when you carry over files built in version 6! I have made it from 175 databases down to 50 by combining files, but I still have many more to go and clearly did not handle the security fully to handle this situation.

Many Thanks.

Deborah

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 4424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.