How to get started with Filemaker Go

This topic is 4469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can somebody tell me how to get started utilizing filemaker on an ipad?

I have a cabinet shop and I would like to be able to store cabinet drawings and have them accessible from several locations.

I know how to write a database in filemaker but I don't know much about how to get access to the data remotely. I have had a database that has been hosted on somebody else's server since way before the days of the i-pad but in the last six months there have been so many connectivity issues that it is now time to find another way to do this.

At a minimum this is what I want:

I would like to be able to store PDFs in a container field then retrieve the contents as needed.

I have been doing something similar to this for years albeit with an imbedded PDF. The limitation to this approach has been that the database would bog down when the file size got too large. When that happened I would periodically purge records and start again.

The way my hosting was set up before there no way to store a referenced file.

I have heard this can be accomplished with something called Super Container but I'm not sure how to make this happen on a remote basis.

I would rather have somebody else host the files and manage the server. I would rather stay focused on my cabinet shop than learn to become an IT guy.

The current host for my databases seems like a big solid company on paper but in practice seems like a guy & his nephew or something. I am a bit nervous about going deep into the "cloud" then discovering my server no longer exists.

I have heard that Amazon has a cloud service. Is this the kind of place to be looking?

How do you find a place that can make this happen with the least amount of strokes on my end?

I want to write my own databases, park them somewhere, access them from an ipad and leave it at that.

For what it is worth my business location is in Seattle but my current database is hosted on a server in Chicago. The connectivity issues were explained to me as having something to do with an East coast to West Coast data transfer. Apparently we have great tower to tower connectivity up and down the east coast and up down the west coat but connections get dropped going across the heartland? Not the answer I was looking for.

I know this is an open ended question but can someone point me where to get started?

This topic is 4469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.