Filemaker Virtualization

This topic is 4445 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I have a solution that requires 7 users to access an FM11 Database over a WAN. The problem I have is that the WAN connection is not consistently good enough quality to access the database via FMNET. It basically works, but I see far too much of the coffee cup. The FM clients need to access the computer’s serial ports and has very precise printing requirements, so I don’t think that IWP would be an option. To limits the network traffic to only screen updates, I was thinking of setting up a second server at our head office with 7 virtual machines and then access the 7 virtual machines via remote access. I don’t have any experience with Virtual Machines and was wondering if anyone could offer advice on this topic.

TIA

John

I assume that when you say "virtual machine" you mean remote desktop or terminal services? You don't need 7 machines for this. You'd have one computer hosting the terminal services and 7 licenses of FMP for the users.

However I'd first start by hosting the file on an external provider that uses symmetrical network connection and see if that provides sufficient performance. It's never going to be as good as it is on your gigabit LAN so have reasonable expectations.

Most internet connections are asymmetrical -- the download bandwidth (going into the house/business) is much faster than the upload bandwidth (data going back out to the internet) because most people browse the web (download) and hardly ever upload. When your database is hosted inside your LAN, the users outside are being throttled by the low upload bandwidth.

Secondly, optimise the solution for speed. Remove unnecessary graphics and optimise data and processes. This may require significant re-write. Optimisation for speed usually needs to be considered up-front and baked-in from the start.

• Newbies

Vaughan thank you for your advice. Yes, I was talking about terminal services :) At least at first glance, Terminal services seem to be a good option, what is the downside of using this approach?

Thanks Again,

John

You'd have one computer hosting the terminal services and 7 licenses of FMP for the users.

Just a clarification: you'd need one 1 volume license key to cover 7 users. If you buy or have 7 individual license keys then it won't work...

This topic is 4445 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.