Server Maintenance This Week. ×

OD authentication on new machine not working

This topic is 4406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have moved to Lion Server on Mac and seem to have missed some configuration as my files are not externally authenticating any more to the OD.

I have configured the console to authentic to an external server.

Also if I select a group to authenticate the console its says it is validated (so presumably it is recognising the LDAP directory) but if I log into the console as a member of the group it fails.

LDAP is not a factor in this process. A few things to check: Is the FIleMaker Server machine a member of the domain? Did you manually assign it or did you let the automatic search option do it? Are you 100% certain that the OD group names exactly match those in the FIleMaker Pro files? Are you using the short names?

All that said, OD can be very twitchy. And Lion Server as well.

Steven

LDAP is not a factor in this process. A few things to check: Is the FIleMaker Server machine a member of the domain? Did you manually assign it or did you let the automatic search option do it? Are you 100% certain that the OD group names exactly match those in the FIleMaker Pro files? Are you using the short names?

All that said, OD can be very twitchy. And Lion Server as well.

Steven

Hi Steven

I didn't try the short names - but that appears to work!!! thanks

The long names used to work. I know this as I had a timer database with a login script that forced people to log in using the full name.

Should the long names work?

cheers

I notice there are a sting of threads about short names following this one, so it seems the answers no.

Pity as the computer places the long name in the login pane and this confuses users.

That name comes from the user preferences. Just clear it out, and the thing should work.

Let me amplify this some.

The Best Practice has always been to use a consistent format for all Account names and all group names. That format is all lowercase with no spaces. If you use that both on the Domain Controller and in the FileMaker Pro files, you will get the best results.

The name that gets automatically entered in the credentials dialog comes from Preferences. You can clear that and substitute the Account Name in the correct format. Or, if you want to mimic Single Sign On by using the KeyChain, you won't be challenged for credentials when accessing the file. If you use that approach, be sure to protect the workstation so that you don't offer a path for unauthorized access to the databases.

Steven

This topic is 4406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.