Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File Sharing and File Permissions problem

This topic is 4404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a solution that we are storing documents in a shared folder on the Mac server and use a calculated path to show the documents in FileMaker. The file permissions for the folder are set to Read and Write for everyone and is set to make all subfolders and files inherit the permissions.

When a user adds a document to the database we copy the document to the shared folder, but the permissions do not get set correctly on that file. When a user wants to view a document we export the file from the record to their Temp directory. When computers other that the one that imported the document try to view it they get an error that the file cannot be created on this disk. I have to go to the server and propagate the permissions to the subfolders and files. After doing that the other computers can then view the file.

Is there some setting I am missing on the server? I think I can use AppleScript to change permissions on the file after it is imported, but if there is a simple setting on the server I missed that would be better.

Workstations - OS 10.7

Server - OS 10.7 Server

Nope, that's just the way OSX works. One thing you can read up on is folder actions on the file server. These are events that would monitor changes to the contents of the folder and will set privileges accordingly.

Another option is to use SuperContainer.

This topic is 4404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.