Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Magnetic Card Reader

This topic is 8185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi!

My first ever forum question anywhere!!!!

I run a members club for kids and am using filemaker pro to list the members info. What started as a hobby looking after 100 kids has now grown into someting I can't control (2000 members)!!!

The kids have membership cards (currently produced in Illustrator) but I'd like to produce cards with a magnetic strip so I can record their visits to the club and check their membership status etc. Also I'd like to just hit print from Filemaker and have the card produced.

I'm totally new to all of this so any help on how to build such a system from scratch would be very VERY much appreciated. I know I need a card reader and printer but no idea how to put the info onto a card or get it back in to filemaker. Phewww! h eeee lp please!

If I was doing a low end application, I would use barcodes on the membership card instead of a magnetic stripe. This way you could turn the cards into name badges or such and produce them with appropriate card stock and a simple laminator instead of purchasing cards printed to order (expensive). Barcode scanning is simple to implement in FM without plug-ins (you will need a barcode font). Scanning also tends to be more immune to wear and tear than magnetic stripes. The only reason to use magnetic strips is to provide more security in cases where forgery of a card is a potential problem. Costco uses are barcode for customer checkstand identification, but uses the magnetic stripe for account billing.

-bd

• Newbies

Thx for the idea for using bar codes, I had looked at that, and indeed my Costco card does use a bar code. I'm mac based but feel that all this stuff will be cheaper on a pc - is that the case ? (apart from the computer itself!)

Can the bar code "tell" file maker to a) enter find mode ??? insert name etc and then "hit return" :? After that filemaker would need to check expiry date, membership status (bad kids who punch each other are revoked!) and if their record exists!!! I thought the bar code would just hold the membership number.

Funny you should ask! We just completed an application on the Mac where the scanning triggers two scripts. Most barcode readers (I prefer laser scanners) use a "wedge" interface to the computer. That is to say that they plug into the keyboard interface and emulate someone typing. The key is to select a barcode scanner that allows the definition of a preable and postable. We define these as Command-1 and Command-2 to allow two scripts (checked to display as these two command keys) to be triggered. The first runs before the scanner "types" the data and the second after. This first might be defined to include "Go to field", the second would "hit return" or perform other processing. The only thing subtle to watch out for is that you can trigger the scripts a second time BEFORE the first run completes. You will need to define your own flags to lock out this possibility.

Again, the actual barcode does not hold the instructions on what to do, the scanner appends control sequences to trigger a script that runs before the scanned value and a script that runs after.

In selecting a barcode scanner, you must make sure it can be programmed to send the Macintosh Command-1 and Command-2 sequences. Personally, I like the SNX Unitech scanners. They come with Mac and PC, and PS2 keyboard adapters and work will with the iMate for USB. Programming preables is much, much, much easier than the typical scanner from PSC or Symbol. Cost is really no different on a Mac or PC.

There are still a bunch of details I won't cover here. Feel free to give me a call.

-bd (Brent Dussia)

Live Oak Systems

FileMaker Pro Development & Macintosh Consulting

760.728.7046 voice

760.728.2655 fax

[email protected]

This topic is 8185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.