This topic is 4383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Although there are plenty of forum members more qualified to dole out advice, I've been reading a large number of posts and examining example files whose authors could benefit from my advice. I think it's a good idea for many, if not most, people to learn about database principles away from the computer. When I began trying to get a grasp on FileMaker I purchased the FileMaker 8 Bible and studied it away from a computer then later tried out concepts on a computer. That way I wouldn't be in a huge hurry. Nor would I turn to a forum immediately for a quick answer to a simple question. I'm a musician and have had to become familiar with lots of music over the years. I found it, after being advised by a friend, very advantageous to read through a score away from my instrument at first . . . Then learn to play it after I understood something about it, perhaps the bigger picture.

My 2 cents,

Rick.

Learning database principles, and learning how to use FMP are two different things. A person can learn how to use FMP without learning database principles. They won't make good databases though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.