Server Maintenance This Week. ×

[NEWBIE] I have a question about sharing files (help!)

This topic is 4376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Everybody...

First I need to tell FM is awesome!... i'm been programmer for more than 10 years and this tool is amazing and a "time-saver"...

I developed my first database app for a client but I have a question. I have my FileMaker Pro 12 in my Mac and I want to generate a package (as developer) and distribute this with my client.

The questions is, if I open that "generated package" each database are different but I want to install a main database (in the same network) and install the application in other computers that connect to the "Server" database.

I don't know what I need. (I have packages for MAC and Windows)...

I tried several things but nothing work... I don't know If I need to install FileMaker Pro 12 on each computer but doing in this way the persons can change the database/layouts/reports, etc...

I think this is very simple, but I can't figure out yet!...

Thanks!

If the generated package is what you created using the Developer Tools in FMP Advanced then that is what is called a "runtime". These are meant to be standalone and cannot be shared. The only ways that you can share your data is using FileMaker Server to host your files and everyone having a copy of FMP on their workstation. Or use the very limited peer-to-peer hosting by having one copy of FMP act as the host and all users using their own copy of FMP to access the files (through Open Remote - not through an OS level share!). Peer-to-peer hosting is not recommended as it is very fragile and tough to set up proper backups.

I don't know If I need to install FileMaker Pro 12 on each computer but doing in this way the persons can change the database/layouts/reports, etc...

Yes yo do.

As to every user changing the database schema: you set those rights in the privilege sets so you just take them away...

This topic is 4376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.