Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connecting a FM Database to a MySQL database -> Database Server Crash

This topic is 4154 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am attempting to setup a connection to a remote mySQL 5.1 database.

We are running FM Server 11 on a Windows 2003 server.

I have set the DSN up successfully.

When I attempt to add a table occurance of the remote database within FM, I can see the database tables of the remote database. However, when I choose the table to add to the graph, not only does the database I am working in crash, but it crashes the entire Database Server.

I have attempted to connect to different tables in the MySQL database. Same result.

I have rebooted the server. Same Result.

Is there a log file that I could pull that might hint at the issue?

Does anyone know where I would even start looking in an attempt to troubleshoot this?

I have not tried that, yet.

I will certainly do that next.

I have upgraded to Server Advanced (that was just silly.) Made sure ODBC is enabled & running on the server. Made sure my current database was recognized as having ODBC connections allowed.

Logged into the database and attempted to add the remote table. Server crash again.

I noticed this in the logs.

2012-05-24 18:49:32 Server Events Information XDBC connections are not allowed.

2012-05-24 18:49:32 Server Events Information XDBC connections are allowed by this FileMaker Server license.

Could that indicate some sort of conflict? I would think that the "are allowed" line would supersede the previous message... but?

You do not need Server Advanced if you are trying to connect to external sources FROM FileMaker.

You only need it in this case when using FileMaker as an ODBC source for other apps to connect to it.

Well, I now have a need for it going both ways, anyhow. But, I'll cross that hurdle after I get this rectified.

I have tried establishing a connection in three different databases now. Two database files that have been running on the server for some time. And, one test file that I just created which has one table and one record.

I've also tried connecting to various tables within the remote database.

All of which crash the database server.

More info...

I am able to successfully connect to the mySQL database from the test database I created, directly from my mac. In other words, when the database is not hosted on the server, I can connect using Actual Technologies OBDC driver.

I would try reinstalling the MySQL ODBC driver on the server. You are using MySQL 5.1 Community Edition correct?

What happens if you install FM Pro on the windows server, create a new file there, and then try and connect to the MySQL db.

Also from the info you posted you already should be doing this but you are using a System DSN under the x86 section ( if 64 bit )

Finally, what is the exact driver version that you are using? I happen to be using an older driver which I should probably update.

mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.6-win32.msi

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I am having the same issues.

I can see the mysql tables in FM Pro 11, but when I click on one to add the relationship to the database, FileMaker crashes.

Have you found a solution yet?

We are using FM Server 11.

MySQL Server version 5.0.37 community-nt

• 6 months later...

FYI,  (and sorry for the late reply - notifications weren't set properly here, so I didn't realize I had ignored follow-ups)

I think there were conflicts on the windows machine that was creating the issue.

My fix was to purchase a mac-mini running server.  I set up FM Server and Mac ODBC and worked like a charm.  (I always have hated windows anyway.)

This topic is 4154 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.