Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WYSI not WYG - When Printing From Windows NT4

Lauras

This topic is 8545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am moving FMP databases from Macintosh to Windows NT4 and what you see on the screen is not always what is printed.

Clients are completing a form with text fields approximately 4"x2" using Arial size 10 and letting the data wrap. They are happy with what they see on the screen, but what's printed has wrapped differently bumping words up one line. They are having difficulty editing the comment since they don't know what it will look like when it's printed.

They are running FMP 4.1v3 on Windows NT4.

If I change the font to Arial 12, the problem disappears but Arial 10 is needed so that all the data will fit on one page. If I change the font to Times New Roman 10, the problem is minimized, but still occurs.

I have tried different printers and it doesn't affect the results.

quote:

Originally posted by Lauras:

I am moving FMP databases from Macintosh to Windows NT4 and what you see on the screen is not always what is printed.

Macintosh and Windows have very different printing requirements and render fonts very differently.

Unless you had very carefully controlled the font choice and layout setup with both platforms in mind, right from the beginning, then this was bound to happen.

You will need to make adjustments to the fonts and layout to correct this. Start by making sure that the font is actually a Windows font, and is supported by the printer as well. If not, you must choose another font to use.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.