Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open File Limit

WayneH

This topic is 8369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Help! Does anybody know why I can no longer open my files? I'm a Mac user but use my corporate-issue Dell to serve about 22 FM databases (and do nothing else that requires human interfacing!).

About a week ago I started running into a problem where the first files to open would do so quickly, but then FM would report an error when it seemed to reach some limit. The error declares something like "the temporary file can not be created, the disk is full". The disk is only 2 of 6 Gb full. Checking the "About FM", it says that 63.5 of my 64 Mb of RAM are used, which strikes me as a problem.

Here are some other details that might help:

Windows 98 version 4.10

FM Pro 5.0v3

all files recently saved as compressed copies, no change to problem

I replied to many friends having similar problems; when the circumstance you experienced occurs it means a 'resource wasting' in the current environment (don' t care warnings and / or system messages: they are ambiguous).

You have some steps to follow:

• increase the amount of logical RAM via FM configuration switch (if you have FM Server configure it about to 15 - 20 megs.)

• in your scripts do an extensive use of 'FLUSH CACHE TO DISK' statement: this achieve the result of securing your data (commiting writes to disk) and, contemporarily, making free room in memory generating more system stability (in most cases this also speed up considerably the apps. execution time).

• obviously, if needed, increase the amount of physical RAM accordingly to what above specified.

Hope this clarifies & helps.

Greetings from Holy Lands.

Wayne,

Possibly this info will be helpful. I have a HP Laptop with 64mb RAM with Windows ME as the O/S. Immediately after booting and with NO programs open there is only 10.5mb RAM available for program usage. The O/S is using 53.5mb of the available 64mb of RAM...and I think the Graphics card may be syphoning off another couple Megs. I don't have a problem, however I'm accessing a small DB on the laptop using the Runtime engine (I use the Laptop for testing my solutions).

From this info, it may be possible that the multi file db you are trying to acess is beyond the capabilities of the little bit of RAM you have remaining after the O/S gobbles up its share. Another 64mb of RAM can be purchased for about $35.00 and 128mb for about $60.00 from www.crucial.com I've used their RAM in my Desktops without problems.

Gary

• Newbies

Problem Solved! Thanks to all that replied. (See the original post.)

Re-installing Windows 98 actually worsened the problem; I couldn't even open a sigle file without getting the 'disk is full' error. A re-install of FM Pro completely and utterly solved the problem. It's running very snappily now with over 25 files open and still only 64 Mb of physical RAM.

Thanks again.

This topic is 8369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.