container picture locations

This topic is 4337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My database has several container fields. I was advised that 'good practice' is to store the photos I use in these containers in a separate file, which I've done (though truthfully as I look back, I don't see inherent advantage).

Now comes Fm Go! Go is totally cool and I want to use it on the iPhone and the iPad. However:

In order to use my data I do need the pictures. I know how to get the FM database to the iPhone, no problem. What I don't know is what to do about the photos (container fields). Do I need to move the photos back into the database so that Go can use them on the devices?

If I do, I hope someone can give me a sense of how to do it?

Thanks!

• Newbies

Thanks! Now that I know that I can experiment a bit. Realize that the images total about 5G, an awfully big number. If I'd known about Go when setting out the DB I might have made a low-res version of each image available, but didn't (and no idea how to make it work?)

• Newbies

Continuing this saga.

FM Go is such a home run for me that I need to work through these issues but need help.

The problem is this: my pictures total about 8G, way more than I can put on the iPhone.

My solution: create a smaller, 'Preview' version of each image. This is dead simple outside of FM. As I do it (using GraphicConverter, probably), I can have good access to the naming of the smaller versions, if it matters.

There are 6 container fields for each of about 345 records. Not all are populated, but most are. All of the containers have JPEGs in them, if it matters.

What I don't know how to do is this: how do I associate a smaller version of each container contents with the proper record? I can't 'import' them. Anyone have ideas?

Talking out loud:

I suppose that one could use AppleScript to direct an external application to do the work and then import the data. This is far far above my abilities although I see how it could be done conceptually. And I spent some time with Automator, too; I must say that I'd been meaning to learn more about it and now I see how powerful it is. But, again, this just seems way to much like a hammer looking for a nail.

Another approach would script FM to import the new data. But how would FM know which (smaller) pictures go with which record?

Gotta be a way to do this…

Suzie

This topic is 4337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.